24 February 2009

Where My Daughter Was Killed By Drunk & Speeding Jason Burke

Catherine's memorial plaque is mounted on the outside wall of a farm outhouse, just above the wall that the van she was a front seat passenger in, crashed. Catherine took the full impact of that crash. If the stone wall hadn't been there, but just the ditch then she might have had some chance of survival.
Even then, the length of time it would've taken the emergency services to get to the scene of the crash and back to the hospital would've hindered their attempts to save her.
The emergency services had to travel 18 miles to the crash scene and 18 miles back to the hospital - an awful long time in an emergency. My poor child didn't stand a chance.
The leader and members of the Youth Group that Catherine belonged to organised a fundraiser in our community by launching a CD that two of her friends had made in her memory. The song is called Memories of You, and was written and sung by them. The money they raised by the sale of their song helped towards the cost of the plaque. It was a wonderful gesture from her friends, and by doing this they showed their love and loyalty to Catherine.
It made me so very proud.

1 comment:

Nan P. said...

I will never forget the call I received on that Sunday morning, from our friend E., telling me the news... I still get emotional thinking of it. And seeing pictures of the van in the national papers on Monday morning. My heart went out to you... It still does.